- Complete Details on Project Initia..
- Best Project Management Tools/Soft..
- DevOps Advantages and Disadvantage..
- Best Project Management Communicat..
- Best Scrum Master Facilitation Pra..
- Highest Paying IT Certifications i..
- Top In Demand IT Skills For The Fu..
- Most Important Skills Required For..
- Different Types of Soft Skills
- Soft Skills To Advance Your IT Car..
Group discussion generally called as GD is a type of discussion where a group of people share their ideas or views about a particular thing or product by communicating each other to solve a problem to make decisions. Generally group discussions are different types which are explained below:
Types of Group Discussions:
When it comes to the different types of group discussions, they can be widely categorized as follows:
1. Factual group discussions
Group discussions that are related to practical things and thereby judge an individual based on the information & knowledge possessed by him/her regarding various socio-economic & day-to-day topics/issues.
2. Opinion-based group discussions
This effective group discussion type will be responsible for testing the individual as to how well he/she puts forward his/her views & opinions. Group discussions such as these are less about facts and more about learning the opinions of the participants.
3. Case study-based group discussions
Group discussions that help in simulating real-life scenarios are known as case study-based group discussions. The moderators will provide the individuals with the details of a specific hypothetical scenario and then the group has to work towards solving the situation.
4. Abstract group discussions
This successful group discussion type is all about intangible topics. In such group discussions, the interviewers/moderators will observe the candidates as to how well he/she handles the given topic with creativity & thinking.
Merits of a group discussion
- Provides individuals with the opportunity to present their opinions and ideas.
- Creates a healthy environment for formulating constructive arguments.
- Creates a more interactive session than a lecture.
- Participants stay focused on the given topic, which leads to additional learning.
- Helps participants to make observations and clarify their misconceptions.
Techniques to follow for successful Group Discussions:
Some of the ideal group discussion techniques are as follows:
1. Try to speak first
You shouldn’t be disheartened to kick-start the discussion. Getting the chance to open the group discussion can prove to be a plus point in the eyes of the moderator. Such a process works if you have clearly understood the topic and framed your argument. But, in case you don’t speak first, ensure that you’re well-prepared for your turn.
2. Maintain eye contact
Participants have to remain relaxed & calm when carrying out a group discussion. Moreover, you must maintain eye contact with other candidates when presenting your argument.
3. Allow others to speak
Group discussion isn’t just about presenting your side of the story but also to value others’ opinions. Hence, you must give other participants the chance to speak. Cutting off others in the middle of their speeches will not give a good impression to the moderators. Simply wait for your turn to present your arguments.
Furthermore, reasonably use simple language when presenting your thoughts. Besides, avoid being dominating. And in case you don’t agree with another participant’s opinions, simply put forward your reasoning in a respectful & calm way.
4. Be sensible
Don’t get carried away in your thoughts and start speaking gibberish. The idea here is to coagulate your thoughts/opinions in as condensed manner as possible.
5. Take care of your body language
In a group discussion, you have to be pleasant & comfortable in your demeanor. Try to avoid unnecessary hand expressions, gestures, or movements. Proper body language will be crucial in getting your thoughts/opinions across to the other participants and making them presentable.
Follow these techniques and make the group discussion successful with these suggestions.
Want to Level Up Your Skills?
LearnNThrive is a global training and placement provider helping the graduates to pick the best technology trainings and certification programs.
Have queries? Get In touch!